Wireless Headphones are GreatThe first question is of course "Why?" Why bother with wireless headphones when there are plenty of serviceable, inexpensive wired ones?
I was surprised just how freeing going wireless was, and for me - it's worth the added hassle of having to keep them charged. It feels significantly faster and more convenient because:
- fewer wires to untangle when I get them out
- no wire to snake through my clothing and have in my pocket
- nothing poking out of the bottom of my phone making it larger in pockets
- nothing to unplug or get tangled when removing my phone from my pocket
My Two Favourite TypesI find these two types very useful:
- over the head "studio style" headphones
- two-earbuds-on-a-wire style earbuds.
The headphones style are great for throwing on quickly, and their size means battery life is great - 5 hours to 30 hours of playback on pairs I've tried. Controls on the ear piece, which is large enough to operate easily.
I find the two earbuds style vastly superior to the single earbud "cyborg-style" that have been popular with real-estate agents and the upwardly mobile for making calls for years. The two earbuds hangs easily around my neck, so I can use them and remove them without having to stuff them in a pocket. This means I always have them with me - my first wearable device.
Things to look for:
- Full iPhone support - I've found battery status is not always supported, and it's a great feature to have. To be able to just look at your phone and know how charged your earbuds are.
- Standardized forward & back controls.
- Standardized call button controls to trigger Siri.
As anyone who follows tech closely will tell you - Bluetooth isn't the greatest of wireless technologies. Even the Apple watch and iPhone have connection glitches, and they're made by the same company. I'm hoping Airpods will improve on this, but we'll see. ( I also think I will prefer the 2-earbuds-on-a-wire style, but again - we'll see when they come out...)